Saturday 17 January 2015

Day one on displate

I have just signed up to sell my graphic designs at the website displate. This blog will follow my experience at this site. There may be errors in this blog as I am a displate newby. It will be an accurate description of my understanding of the site.

Displate describe themselves like this...

Make Your Home Awesome

We are a manufacture specializing in creating exceptional Metal Posters. All the beautiful Displates that you see have been created by an amazing group of artists that are part of our community and whom you support by buying Displates.

They say they have more than 1000 artists from all around the world. And now they have me.
mailboxdisco

Selling on displate is free so there is nothing to lose, I'm in.

I loaded up my avatar and got right into making my metal prints.



Up loading images was very quick and easy. They ask for an image 4200 by 3000 pixels, at least 2800 on the shortest side (or bigger in 4:1 ratio). The metal prints they make are 45 cm by 32cm.

I followed the prompts and set up some galleries (categories) for my art.

Next you are asked to add a title, in a huge box which is actually for a description. You also enter a few key words, they must be single words, no punctuation, no commas. You set your price, I went for 50 dollars. Of that I would get 25% if sold from my profile or the popular, newest, top sections of the site. I can not see what I would earn if sold elsewhere on the site. I note that I can set up a "display" on which I can show other artists displates, if one of those works sells from my display I earn 5%.

On a free account you can add 7 designs a week. On a paid account you can add many more. For now I will use a free account but if I made good sales I will upgrade, I think it is about 30 bucks.

My gallery now looks like this...




They display the work beautifully. Here is one of my first displates.

badger, saxophone, metal print, displate
Badger playing a saxophone
Next I had a good look around the site. Added comments to some cool art, followed some artists and liked some work. This was worth it as I saw some cool stuff and soon had 8 followers and 50 likes over my 7 designs. 

I also noticed a box that said hype. I did not know what they meant but it was on about 10. By the next day it had hit 150 and I got an email from Displate which went some way to explaining "Hypes" meaning.  The email said... 

"We noticed that you have passed the hype of 100
Hype is a measure of the positive feedback you receive from other users!
There are many benefits of increasing your hype such as:
- being a recommended user to follow for newly registered users
- increased chance to appear on gallery shows
- increased chance to being featured on the main page and social media"

I am not expecting overnight success here. In fact I expect this to start very slowly. At seven designs per week it will take a long time to build my portfolio. In my experience you need a large portfolio or a lot of luck when working on any print on demand website.

In my next post I will address promotion. Thank you for reading and hopefully visiting my profile on displate. Sorry for any typos, I love art but I hate proof reading (so I don't bother).

Feel free to comment or offer your words of wisdom about Displate.


1 comment: